When we think of skiing in Europe, the first countries that come to mind are France and Italy. True, the ski resorts in Western Europe are fantastic, but they cost a fortune. What if we told you that you can find the same services and scenery even closer, at a more than affordable price. Yes, it is possible, in the resort of Jasna, Slovakia.
Here's why Slovakia should be on your bucket list:
- Good value for money – Slovaks have the cheapest ski resorts in Europe. Not only are ski passes less expensive than most alpine resorts, but dining out costs about a third compared to restaurants in the West.
- Infrastructure is well developed – Slovak ski resorts have undergone huge transformations in recent years and now offer a modern and efficient infrastructure comparable to Western Europe. Perhaps in the coming years, Slovakia will offer the best ski resorts in Europe!
- Natural landscapes – Slovakia is famous for its thermal water parks. The great thing is that they are all located close to each other – they are all in the Tatra mountains.
Many other attractions within reach – Slovakia is a small country and yet offers so many attractions!
If you are planning to ski in Slovakia, then you might want to choose the Jasna mountain resort.
- Hotel Grand Jasna – If you want to be close to the Jasna ski resort, then Hotel Grand Jasna will be one of the best options. This four-star hotel offers ski-to-door access, comfortable rooms and very friendly staff. The hotel has ski rental on the ground floor. There is also a wellness center with outdoor hot tubs, cooling pond and an outdoor Finnish sauna.
- Hoteluin Osteredok – You can also enjoy a quiet wooded location in the Tatras National Park, if you choose to stay at the Osteredok Hotel which is only 50 m from the Jasna Ski Center. It offers a modern-style restaurant with mountain views serving Italian cuisine. Different types of saunas are available and Wi-Fi is free.
- Hotel Liptov Jasna – If you are looking for a more budget friendly option but still close to Jasna Chopok, then Hotel Liptov Jasna it is for you. The location is excellent, close to the ski slopes. Nice and clean rooms with breakfast included in the price and the food is fantastic!
The highest point that skiers can reach is 2,004 meters. When the weather is sunny, the views from the Jasna ski resort will take your breath away! The Lower Tatras National Park is a picturesque mountain region, and the scenery rewards every effort.
Average lows in December, January and February are -11/-12 degrees Celsius and average highs are -7. However, Chopok resort is an open mountain, which makes the weather feel colder than it is due to the wind.
Here you can check the weather forecast for Chopok Jasna.
There is only one ski card that you can use in all facilities it is called GOPASS and can be purchased in several ways.
- Online – the most convenient method. You can check the prices here.
- Ticket offices – there can be queues, so it's best to get up early. Opening hours: 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM.
- GOPASS Point – in the ski resorts there are self-service ticket machines located at each boarding point in the ski resorts.
- The mobile app GOPASS – An innovative variant, the app also counts the kilometers and shows a diagram of your skiing performance. Available on Google Play Store and App Store.
where do you ski
Ski resort Jasná Nízke Tatry – Chopok
Jasná Nízke Tatry is the best ski resort in Slovakia. And it is one of the cheapest ski resorts in Europe, considering the fantastic infrastructure it offers.
Slovaks have invested more than EUR 200 million in this mountain resort. There are new hotels, ski lifts, wide slopes, restaurants and ski services that provide a quality experience. Some say the ski resort Jasná Nízke Tatry – Chopok becomes one of the best skiing places in Europe
From this ski season 2022 – 2023, the Jasná resort has new, modern cable cars from Biela Púta to Priehyba, which make it very easy to get around the resort and a quick transfer to the top of Chopok!
The ski resort offers 46 kilometers of well-groomed piste, back bowl, a 6 kilometer cross-country course, a park, plenty of slopes even through the trees.
There are a variety of ski slopes that make from Jasná Nízke Tatry one of the best ski resorts in Europe for families. Some slopes are very steep, others are easy and some can even take you into the middle of the forest – there are up to 12 freeride areas.
Ski resort Jasna Chopok it's actually famous for its many off-piste ski slopes – it's the biggest freeride resort in Slovakia! There is also a fun area prepared for advanced skiers.
The resort offers the chance to ski in the evening (from 18:00 to 21:00) and offers a snow period of 5 months every year thanks to the modern snowmaking system.
The Jasna ski resort is divided into two parts:
- North (Chopok Sever) – main part with artificial snow system.
- South (Chopok Juh) – there is only natural snow, many freeride areas and definitely a lot less people.
But Mount Chopok is not only known for its ski resort. It is also a popular summer destination and has one of the best hiking trails in Slovakia.
Jasna Chopok Resort belongs to Tatry Mountain Resorts AS, which has several other ski resorts and water parks (including Szczyrk Mountain Resort and Tatralandia Water Park).
Gastronomy & Restaurants
In Slovakia you will find quality gastronomy at affordable prices. Regional dishes are as colorful as the Slovak countryside. The traditional cuisine of the mountain areas mainly favors those who love cheese and dairy products. In the lowlands, you can taste spicier dishes, specialties of cabbage, goose, lokše (local fried bread) or trdelník (sweet pastry rolls).
In Jasna you can enjoy the local cuisine at one of the following restaurants:
- After ski bar & restaurant – overlooking the surrounding hills. Enjoy pleasant moments in the à la carte restaurant with Ski Bar which also has a large sunny terrace. Here, fresh dishes are prepared from natural and healthy ingredients. If you need a special diet, I can also prepare gluten-free or lactose-free meals here. And most importantly, all meals are prepared with love.
- Center by Iglobrothers an open, generous and well-lit space are the characteristics that describe the Center by Iglobrothers restaurant. Life in the kitchen and behind the bar - this is the motto of the restaurant, run by 2 culinary master brothers, the menu provided by them will certainly leave you with a pleasant impression and a satisfied appetite.
After a good meal, quench your thirst with lager from Rakovník, quality coffee from a local roaster or a delicious drink.
In conclusion, the infrastructure is well developed, the ski lifts are fast and efficient and indeed, skiing in Europe has never been cheaper!