Monschau is a small town in the Eifel region of Germany and a place where time seems to have stood still for several centuries. It is the cultural center of the Eifel area and a great destination to explore the fascinating wilderness and authenticity of the area. Monschau's romantic alleys, beautiful wooden houses and medieval walls make it the perfect place for a quiet and relaxing holiday.
- Horchem Hotel-Restaurant-Café-Bar located in the heart of the city, this 3-star hotel offers you all the conditions to have a relaxing holiday.
- Haus Stehlings we recommend you to choose an authentic accommodation to feel the energy of the medieval city, therefore, we recommend perhaps one of the most beautiful accommodations in this area. One of the advantages of this accommodation is that guests can enjoy river and mountain views from all rooms.
- Burghotel located in the medieval town of Monschau, this hotel on the edge of the Eifel National Park offers rustic-style rooms with authentic wooden beams, a lounge with a fireplace and a traditional dining room.
Monschau tourist attractions - What to visit in Monschau
The Altstadt (Old Town) is a dream place for a stroll. The heart of Monschau is made up of timber-framed houses with flowered windows, cobbled streets, shops tucked away in obscure corners and the infectious sounds emanating from the many cafés. Before Christmas, the old town turns into a magical land of twinkling lights and the heady aroma of delicious treats.
The Rotes Haus (Red House), the former headquarters of the Scheibler textile family and now a museum, is Monschau's most famous landmark. While the 18th-century red brick house stands out from the buildings around it, its simple exterior gives no indication of the opulence of its interior. The museum is made with luxurious rococo furniture and boasts antique and valuable pieces of furniture, tapestries and artefacts. However, what steals the eye is the oak staircase that wraps three floors and depicts different stages of textile production. You can find more details here.
Monschau Castle was built at the beginning of the 13th century. In the following century, it was heavily fortified with ring walls. The castle witnessed looting, destruction, abandonment and reconstruction before finally being renovated as a hostel full of life. Although tours of the castle are not offered, you can stay at Hostel from the castle grounds or you can enjoy a wonderful view in its courtyard. The courtyard is also the venue for occasional festivals and concerts.
To see how mustard (Moutarde de Montjoie) is made, go to history Senfmühle Monschau (Monschau Mustard Mill). The family-run mill has been producing delicious mustard in the same traditional way for over 120 years and is known for producing 19 varieties of mustard, each more delicious than the last. Visitors are welcome to taste and buy mustard, jams, liqueurs and even mustard chocolate!
If you are still in Monschau, choose a cruise on the Rursee. Enjoy the wonderful views of the lush vegetation and mountains of the majestic Eifel National Park. Boats only operate between April and October. Find more details here.
Hellenthal Eifel National Park
The Hellenthal National Park, about 20 km from Monschau, is a great idea for a fun family outing. This park is home to deer, raccoons, deer, wild cats and many other exotic species. However, the star attraction of this park is the bird of prey show, where raptors and owls win cheers from the crowds with their awesome tricks. Details here.
Gastronomy & Restaurants - What and where to eat in Monschau
We can certainly remember the popular schnitzel and traditional German sausages, but there are at least two popular dishes that originated in this storied city.
- Mustard soup considering that one of the most famous sights in Monschau is the mustard factory, it is more than obvious that all traditional Monschau dishes include mustard, so one of the most famous local dishes is mustard soup.
- Monschauer Dütchen they are like small, crispy croissants. They were invented in 1853 in Café Rur. Today you can get them in many Monschau patisseries.
- Restaurant Rur – Cafe discover the popular dishes at a traditional family restaurant with a medieval design. However, to be sure that you will enjoy the chosen dishes, we recommend that you make a reservation.
- Restaurant Alte Herrlichkeit here you will find the pleasure of your senses. This restaurant has delicacies prepared for foodies throughout the year. Accents from around the world and especially from the region.
- Alt Montjoie Restaurant & Hotel located in the old town, this restaurant offers both traditional and European dishes.
This medieval city is definitely a gem of Germany, a fairytale destination worth discovering in every season.